Sophie’s Immune Boosting Lifestyle Tips
A lover of all things health and beauty, Sophie is always sure to keep up with her go-to healthy habits and nutrition tips to make her feel at the top of her game. These are the lifestyle tricks Sophie relies on to boost her immune system, while providing her body with ever-important rest, relaxation, and serenity.
Vitamin D Maintenance
Proper Vitamin D intake is a major factor in keeping your body as healthy as it can be.
- Sophie loves to get her Vitamin D from natural, safe sun exposure. Make sure to apply sunscreen and stay out of harsh sunlight for too long. Experts recommend 10-30 minutes of sun exposure, several times per week, to ensure proper levels of Vitamin D in the body.
- Mushrooms are chock-full of Vitamin D. They are healthy, delicious, and fun to add to all kinds of dishes. Bonus life hack: Put mushrooms in the sun for 30-60 minutes to increase their already high amounts of Vitamin D.
- Fatty fish like salmon are full of Vitamin D. Salmon is a nutritious choice — and an easy choice to make, seeing as it’s so delicious! Try with a lemon-paprika flavour, honey garlic marinade, or with coconut rice.
- Almond milk is an easy way to add Vitamin D into your diet. These milks have Vitamin D added to provide extra nutrition; it’s such a simple way to increase your intake.
Wim Hof Breathing Method + Cold Showers
Sophie uses Wim Hof breathing exercises to gain a boost to her immune system, plus mental benefits, including improved concentration and mental well-being. Consistent practice of this method has been shown to increase energy and willpower, as well as alleviate some symptoms of depression. The following is how Sophie prefers to use this method:
- Find a comfortable position and clear your mind. Become aware of your breath, and connect with it.
- Round 1: Take 40 deep breaths in and out, rapidly, in short and powerful bursts. After the 40th exhale, take one more large inhale, and release. Now hold your breath for one minute. Once this time has passed, take one large breath in for 15 seconds.
- Round 2: Repeat, but hold your breath for one minute and 30 seconds.
- Round 3: Repeat, but hold your breath for two minutes.
- Round 4: Repeat, but hold your breath for two minutes and 30 seconds.
Sophie matches this technique with a cold shower method. Each morning, at the end of her hot shower, Sophie will have a cold shower for approximately 30 to 60 seconds. It’s a quick and easy way to gain tons of benefits, including:
- Waking up the body and mind; increasing alertness
- Calming itchy skin
- Increasing circulation in the body
- Reducing post-workout muscle soreness
- Helping your hair and skin to glow
- Potentially assisting in weight loss
Nutrition to Improve Gut Health
Sophie’s top favourite gut health boosting foods are Sauerkraut & Kombucha.
- Sauerkraut is ultra-nutritious. It brings so many benefits to the body: aiding in digestion, boosting your immune system, assisting with weight loss, reducing stress and maintaining brain health, reducing the risk of certain cancers, promoting heart health, and contributing to stronger bones.
- Kombucha is a fermented drink that provides an excellent source of probiotics, a vitally important factor in gut health.
Vitamin C Intake
Fresh fruit and veggies: a simple pleasure in life that leads to proper intake of Sophie’s good friend, Vitamin C. This vitamin is responsible for boosting your immune system and keeping your cells and skin healthy.
- Each morning, Sophie drinks warm water with lemon. Along with being an excellent source of Vitamin C, this is a great way to keep up with hydration and start your day on the right track.
- So many vegetables are packed full of healthy Vitamin C. Sophie’s favourites include:
- Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower
- Green and red peppers
- Spinach, cabbage, turnip greens, and other leafy greens
Cut The Sugar
Sugar is ever-so-present in the foods and treats all around us, and Sophie aims to decrease her sugar intake as much as possible. Sophie stays away from foods with added sugar, and if she wants a sweetness boost, she sticks to natural sweeteners like Natvia.
Quitting sugar is easier with Natvia. Natvia is a great tasting sweetener made from 100% naturally sourced GMO-free ingredients. Created from a unique blend of stevia natural plant and erythritol, a natural nectar found in plants, Natvia tastes deliciously sweet with no bitter aftertaste.
In your quest for body and immune system health, it’s important not to forget the basics. Sleep is one of the most important natural ways our bodies rest and heal.
Sleep deprivation is a quick way towards reducing the function of your immune system. Lack of proper sleep leads to an increase in the likelihood of getting sick, as the function of your infection-fighting antibodies is diminished.
Sophie is a big believer in the importance of getting your beauty rest, and she strives to get 8-9 hours of sleep each night.
At Sophie’s Beauty Room, in Bossley Park, NSW, Sophie is our proud beauty and health queen, guiding our expert clinicians and lovely clients towards a more beautiful lifestyle. Come see us to begin a skin and body journey towards the best version of yourself.
(Please note that the information provided in this article should be considered purely for entertainment purposes, and cannot replace recommendations from your doctor.)